Great Family Experiences in Myanmar
Nothing is better than a family holiday! Not only do you have the chance to spend quality time with each other but also a chance to explore new places and create memories that will last a lifetime.
However, planning a family trip can be difficult as everyone is a different age and likely has different interests. In the past, options for family travel were limited to either kid-friendly resort stays or adult-focused sightseeing tours heavy on history. Fortunately, the tourism industry has evolved and family-friendly itineraries are much easier to come by. Myanmar is no exception!
In this week’s blog we hope to inspire your family to visit Myanmar, sharing our best tips for designing a journey that all members of the family will enjoy. No matter old or young, everyone will create incredible memories on a Myanmar family holiday!
Family Tour Experience: Get Active
A touch of adventure gets your family off the beaten track and into the heart of Myanmar. Light cycling and other soft adventures are easy enough for kids and also a good chance for them to burn off extra energy!
- E-biking in Bagan– Battery-powered scooters are widely available in Bagan and, in our opinion, the best way to explore! Kids can ride on the back with parents or drive their own. Explore quieter lanes away from the main roads and discover ‘hidden’ temples tucked amid farmland.
- Kayaking in Inle Lake– Get a closer look at the stilted houses and floating gardens of Inle in a kayak. The flat-bottomed kayaks are easy to steer across the lake’s still waters, so you and your family can enjoy the solitude of paddling through a quiet village.
- Trekking in the Shan State– For nature-loving families, it doesn’t get any better than a trek in the Shan State! Explore miles of pristine forest, fertile farmland and rolling hills on foot- perfect family photo opportunities are found at every turn! And at night, stay with local families getting a glimpse into their lives and making new friends in the remote highlands.
Family Tour Experience: Connect with the Culture
For culturally curious and history loving families, Myanmar has a treasure trove of experiences. Special interests can be catered to in a way that kids and adults will enjoy.
- Arts Indulgence– Indulge your eyes with a tour of Yangon’s art galleries. Learn about the evolution of art over the years and the country’s emerging new artists. Many of these galleries are tucked in historic buildings, making it a fun exploration for all.
- Heritage Walk– Family walks are always enjoyable but even more so in downtown Yangon. Discover colonial buildings and bustling markets all the while hearing intriguing stories and the mysteries of the city’s past.
Family Tour Experience: Food glorious food!
Meal time is a great opportunity for family bonding, sharing stories of the day while dining. While traveling, meals take on a whole new dynamic- exploring new tastes and exotic foods is certain to make for memorable memories.
- Food tour by Local transport– Climb into pedal-powered trishaws to discover Mandalay’s local food scene. Taste unique dishes, mingle with locals at the market and see scenes of daily life. Feel like a local family for a morning, dining and traveling the Mandalay way.
- Myanmar cooking class– Kids may not like to cook at home, but we are certain they will love this hands-on food experience in Bagan! From purchasing ingredients at the market to using local tools to slice, dice and prepare the food this fun morning activity will bring smiles to your faces and satisfy your stomach!
Those are just a few ideas from the Myanmar Diaries team that will make your holiday enjoyable for kids and adults! Forget your standard family sightseeing tour- if you are looking for culture, adventure, food and fun look no further than Myanmar. The activities mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg! Check out our next blog, browse our website for more inspiration or talk to one of our team members to plan the perfect trip. Our tailor-made family holidays to Myanmar ensure a smooth, immersive journey filled with once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
It’s no secret that Myanmar is teeming with incredible architecture, cultural heritage and fascinating history. But here is a little secret you may not know! The best way to experience the country and its endless wonders is through adventurous excursions! But don’t worry- these adventures are not strenuous mountain climbs or grueling long-distance cycling. The type of adventures that showcase Myanmar’s magic can be enjoyed by everyone- gentle bike rides on flat plains, easy paddles over tranquil waters and more.read more
We hope you are looking forward to your Myanmar trekking adventure! With just a bit of extra planning, we are sure you will have a great trip that is safe, comfortable and worry-free!read more
Part of the fun of traveling away from your hometown is experiencing something different- new scenery, new culture, new activities. What’s the point of going to a new place if everything is the same as it is back home? These introductions to new places open our minds and enrich our understanding of the world. Plus, these travel experiences create indelible memories and, sometimes, create unexpected but cherished friendships.read more